Tuesday, January 3, 2012





What Does Oil Really Stand For?

Dear friends,

I know what you’re thinking; this guy can’t be serious, right? I know you’re saying to yourself, I’m an intelligent person… I've been known to change the oil in my car or lawnmower from time to time, so I know what oil stands for! If I remember correctly it’s that slick black stuff that keeps things from squeaking around the house - right?

Well my friend you’re right! But the oil I want to talk to you today is about metalworking fluids; specifically mixing metalworking fluids correctly. Now you’re most likely thinking to yourself, oil and mixing metalworking fluids correctly… I don’t see the connection? Well in the metalworking fluid industry, we designate the use of the word oil as an acronym. First of all; most metalworking fluids are based on mineral oil, and secondly when it comes to mixing metalworking fluids correctly, you definitely want to mix them using the term O.I.L.

Oil
In
Last

When you mix water miscible oil based coolants you want to mix the oil into the water, not the other way around. This is an important key factor which most people are not aware of. All oil based coolants need to be mixed this way in order for the emulsion to form properly, that is oil droplets floating in a water phase, not water floating in an oil phase. Improperly mixed coolant will destroy carbide tooling due to thermal cracking; also poor surface finishes may result. Improperly mixed coolants will separate (split) over time; thus wasting your hard earned money.

So always remember - Oil In Last.

Stay tuned for more useful coolant tips, from The Coolant Guy!

Best regards,

Brett Reynolds, CMFS






rett Reynolds, “The Coolant Guy” works for Blaser Swisslube Inc.
If you would like more useful information regarding metalworking fluids, or would like to find out more information about Blaser metalworking fluid products,
Please contact Brett at 801-722-4095 or via
theoilbaronbulletin@blogspot.com
The Oil Baron Bulletin is not affiliated with Blaser Swisslube Inc. or its subsidiaries

No comments:

Post a Comment